A couple of weeks ago, my husband brought home this “mush” bag to make this bread in 10 days. Our starter bag sat on the counter for the 10 days until he remembered that it needed to be made. I was super tired after a long day, but I agreed to make it and am super glad I did. It makes 4 starter bags and 2 loafs of bread. I kept a starter for myself and gave the other 3 away. I have included the recipe for the starter as well.
Amish Friendship Bread
Do Not Refrigerate
Do NOT use metal bowls or utensils for prep
1 package of active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees)
1 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
Dissolve yeast in water, let stand 10 minutes.
Combine sifted flour and sugar together. Mix well so flour will not be lumpy.
Slowly stir in milk and yeast mixture. Mix well.
Put starter in a gallon Ziploc bag. (Do not refrigerate.) Watch the starter very closely at first and let the air out of the bag as needed. It will bubble and ferment a lot the first day. This is Day 1. Mark the date on your Ziploc bag and now you just follow the directions as you would if you received the starter from a friend.
Day 2-5 Mush Bag
Day 6- Add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk to bag and mush
Day 7-9- Mush bag
Day 10- Follow instructions below
1. Pour entire contents of bag into a non-metal bowl and add:1 1/2 cups milk, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and 1 1/2 cups flour. Mix. Get four 1-gallon Ziplock bags and add one cup of batter to each of these bags. This will create 4 new starter bags to give to friends.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease 2 loaf pans.
3. To the remaining batter add:
3 eggs, 1 cup oil, 1/2 cup milk, 1 cup sugar, 2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp vanilla, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 cups flour, 1 large box vanilla instant pudding mix
4. Mix an additional 1/2 cup sugar and 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon in a bowl. Using half of the mixture, dust both greased loaf pans.
5. Spread batter evenly into both loaf pans. Use remaining cinnamon/sugar mixture to sprinkle to the top of the batter.
6. Bake 45 min-1 hour. Check with toothpick.